Consulting You From Ideas to Action
He is dedicated to helping people and organizations navigate the path to sustainability. His team works with clients to explore and identify opportunities to implement best practices, achieve goals, and increase profits.
Consulting to Support Your Sustainability Effort
- Assessment: Identify the value of environmental performance.
- Analysis: Optimize available resources to enhance sustainability.
- Development: Increase profitability through sustainable practices.
- Implementation: Innovate and develop custom sustainable strategies.
Do project teams need Integrated Design? LEED V4 gives an extra credit for having an integrative process. What are the LEED Protocols for this process and how does it shape energy efficiency and reduce project costs?
- Describe integrative process activities, including those recommended by LEED v4.
- Foster productive communication across the design and construction teams.
- Identify strategies to reduce project costs by encouraging project team collaboration.
- And discover energy efficiency strategies by evaluating occupancy engagement opportunities.
This approach integrates people, systems, business structures and practices into a process. Harness the talents and insights of all participants to optimize project results, increase value to the owner, reduce waste, and maximize efficiency.
Lighting school classrooms, offices, and homes are a balance of natural and artificial light. Many of our projects are over lit. Exceeding the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) guidelines for various spaces. It costs more money upfront to install excess fixtures, wiring, and labor. It also costs more in operations and maintenance.
- Learn how to assess a reflective ceiling plan.
- Incorporate daylight into designs.
- Achieve IES lighting targets.
- Commission lighting systems to verify the design intent.
This optimization reduces the number of lights installed by an average of 30%. One high school project saved $1.3 Million in upfront costs. This is one of the best Value Engineering exercises on any project.
Buildings are like people. Exercising keeps a person in shape. Daily monitoring, metering, and programming is key to keeping a building fine-tuned.
- Learn how to optimize buildings operations.
- Work with stakeholders.
- Meter and sub meter buildings and equipment.
This process implemented on the Highest LEED NC school buildings saved 40 % in the summer break and 20% during the semester, a $50,000 annual savings. Expanded across 25 buildings an average of 17% savings was achieved on the “sprint to savings program”. Building Optimization is an exercise you will not want to miss.
School as a Teaching Tool
21st Century students solve real-world challenges not only using books but the school and school grounds. Perfect for STEM and STEAM programs. Foster students creativity and innovation, critical thinking, communication, collaboration, technology literacy, and leadership. Using the School Building as a tool bridges the gap between theory and practice. Students better understand science and math concepts as they develop solutions to real world challenges.
- Learn how to connect the building to a program.
- How to quantify the building around and engage students in the built environment.
- Learn how to design a school as part of the curriculum.
- Teach students how to quantify sustainability, understand building and environmental relationships.
Future jobs will be based in technology and innovation. Connecting these concepts to educational buildings sets up our students for success.
Floods, droughts, and large storm events seem to happen on a regular basis. Has one affected your city or business? What are the lessons learned from these events? How did you rebound? How much did it cost?
- Analyze historic losses and map areas of potential impact.
- Learn how to build resiliency into your city or business.
- Make strategic investments to reduce future costs.
Put in place emergency preparedness, and a keep things running or reduce downtime. A resiliency plan looks at these factors and refocuses your organization to be stronger.
Return on Investment
Doing some renovations? Replacing lights? The HVAC? The plumbing? With a fixed budget on maintenance and operations. Running a cost-benefit analysis on energy conservation measures (ECM) is key.
- Learn which projects generate the best return.
- How best to sequence these projects.
- Make smart short and long term invests in reducing costs.
- Run a model and understand the performance of the system.
Balance the initial cost with the long-term savings in both energy and emissions. Some in a little as 6 months, others 4 or up to 10 years depending on the Energy Conservation Measure.
Smart Assesment and Infrastructure Management
The roof the roof the roof is on fire. What’s on your roof? What color is it? How much is it making or worse how much is it costing you? Reduce energy use with smart design and planning. Shade walls, light shelves, building orientation all play a key role in reducing energy demand and creating a better interior environment.
- This training reviews passive design techniques.
- Assess the design strategies with a cost benefit analysis.
- Learn how to apply this in a design build process.
- Learn how to turn your roof, parking lot, and green space into smart infrastructure that reduces costs.
Generate more revenue. Repurpose resources for a greater benefit. Do this in in parks, schools, streets, and buildings.
Utility Scale Wind is competitive with other energy sources. The cost of energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies has gone down. Tap into the global economy of renewable and energy efficiency.
- Learn what’s working and how to do more of it.
- What strategies make the most sense for a city, campus, or building.
- How to calculate returns and enjoy tax benefits.
Energy efficiency and renewable energy are to be a 13 Trillion Dollar industry. Learn how to take part in the future global economy.